Oats & Mix Vegetable Chilla (Makes 8-10 mini Chillas; Preparation Time: 20 minutes)
As I traverse through the land of baby food, my belief in a notion is getting cemented - variety is important to keep the baby's interest in food, alive! Babies won't grow up to be fussy eaters should variety be introduced early on. (by which I mean, whatever the paediatrician allows)
The Oats & Mix Vegetable Chilla is not only yummy but is also packed with loads of nutrients. This recipe could very well go on to become a breakfast choice, even for you.
Age Check: 9-month+
Pre Mix: One can prepare a 'pre-mix' of the base ingredients and keep it handy for instant use later on.
- 2 cups porridge oats (the regular Quaker/ Kellogg's one)
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sooji (semolina), roasted
- 1/2 cup besan (gram flour) - optional ( I add it for variety)
Grind the oats into a fine powder, mix it with the other two/three ingredients and store it in an airtight jar.
- 100 gms oats premix
- About 150 ml whole milk (for babies)/ skimmed milk (for adults)
- 100 gms mix vegetables, finely chopped or grated (1/2 carrots, 2-3 French beans, a small piece of bottle guard or other vegetables of choice)
- salt to taste (very little for the baby variant)
- 1.5 tsp bhuna jeera
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Soak the oats pre mix in milk for about two hours
- Add the vegetables, salt and bhuna jeera and mix well (if the batter appears thick, add 25 ml more milk)
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan, spread the batter into small rounds and cook on medium flame till both sides turn golden brown
These Chillas can be served with ketchup for the grown up kids. Also, if you wish, add chilli powder, garam masala, some finely chopped coriander leaves to the adult verion and serve with coriander chutney.
I prefer the original version.