Kidney Beans Salad (Serves: 2; Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes)
After the sumptuous July 4th dinner at Sargam’s (my friend) place we all sat chitchatting around the dinner table. When one of the guests at the table is a fitness trainer, the discussion is bound to be about healthy eating and weight loss (which I guess most of us only aspire for...sigh!!). We all agreed upon the significance of an early and light dinner - the best bet for that of-course is a salad.
Chicken, fish or seafood salads are all excellent options. Sargam complained that vegetarians are usually left high and dry with insipid options like sprouts or plain green leafy vegetables. "We have no incentive in salads", she said and it set me thinking. Back home I thought of various ingredients that could make a tasty and filling vegetarian salad. Kidney beans looked like a good option to me. The salad turned out so well that I thought of sharing the recipe with you.
- 1 cup kidney beans, soaked for a few hours in water, and boiled
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- ½ a cucumber, chopped
- 1/4th each of red and yellow bell peppers
- 1/4th capsicum, chopped
- A handful coriander leaves, very finely chopped
- ½ to 1 tsp lemon juice, depending on how sour you prefer
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chat masala
- Mix the kidney beans, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and capsicum in a large salad bowl
- Drizzle the lemon juice and add the chopped parsley. Mix well
- Refrigerate the salad for at least an hour
- Add salt and chat masala, just before serving
- To add crunchiness add a few crushed tortilla chips – it tastes incredibly well! Enjoy!